Friday 19 February 2010

What a place... Phuket!



Happy New Year! Delayed again I know… and I can only hope your year has started off well. I'm sorry I'm working on delayed time here... I have much more to tell... it's a waiting process with me I am afraid!

So spending our first 2 weeks this year in Thailand was lovely, with a cracking tan... which seems to have pretty much buggered off already. I made sure I was on the 00.40 train back home after celebrating New Year in a bar in Kyoto.
Although going to Phuket for a holiday leaves much to be desired in my view.... you still can't help but admire 'the beauty' ... of the lady boys! But I was perfectly content with the sunbeds by the pool for pretty much the whole time, apart from a few exciting adventures! ;)

I knew a friend of mine was also in Phuket… thanks to FB. One evening it had been pissing it down and I was in charge of the kids. I couldn’t even begin to contemplate dragging the kids through the chaotic streets... so the hotel restaurant it was. When I decided to call it a night and walking through the lobby... there was my friend making his way to reception! It wasn't bedtime for the kids just yet…
So a couple of days later, Barbara and Christophe agreed to let me go to Phi Phi for the night. It was my friends 30th, and they had just made their way there the day before. I bought him a pair of Thai Boxers as a present and they went down a treat! Although I was a little disappointed, I had set myself up. It went down so well, we all purchased a pair and sported them all night! Gaining huge respect, a very funny evening. The next day I was back on the boat... back to work. If you can say room service and a movie with the kids is work...
The holiday really did make it with the kids and I, I do feel like part of the family now. It's awesome! Andrea only speaks 'hello' and 'please' now, but 'thank you' is as hard as the rest of the French… and she covers her mouth when she coughs and will always make sure I've acknowledged this, cause I've taught her so well. ;)

Back to Japan, and strangely I felt relieved to be back 'home'. Only here for 4 months yet I totally felt settled. Especially when I'm out doing my own thing... waiting for the subway that seems so familiar now but not long ago so bloody daunting. I see Chieko walking towards me... Christophe' agent', assistant. How can I be randomly bumping into people in Japan already! We meet up later on in the day and she takes me for dinner, an area called Gion in Kyoto. A place where the streets are small and desolate with wonderful lanterns lighting up your path. Convincing you that there is nothing to be curious about. But behind every door is a fantastic, exclusive place to eat. No signs... nothing! Chieko leads me into a door at the end of an alleyway... where a lady greets you and you remove your shoes. You enter a tiny room where there were no more than 10 seats placed around the kitchen. We ate wonderful Kushi Katsu, apparently the best in Kyoto. Now how the hell would you know where to go for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment